We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed administrator to take on a brand new role at The Art House! You will be highly organised, yet willing to work alongside and support people who are not organised.
You will be somebody who can work well with others, is happy to work alone if needed and use your own initiative to form this new role.
A friendly persona and clear communicator, you will be somebody who is genuinely passionate about The Art House’s mission.
You’ll be supporting admin volunteers, carrying out day-to-day tasks like creating online events, updating calendars, answering the telephone, ordering supplies, taking minutes, answering email enquiries and many other useful support tasks to help us run more smoothly. There will also be some marketing and social media, event management and art exhibition planning.
You will be training volunteers both on the job and in groups, leading volunteer social events and helping to manage the rota. Experience of working in the voluntary sector, administrative work (or both) is preferable but not essential.
This role is particularly ideal for somebody with experience of office management, or PA work, who is looking for part time hours in a more relaxed and fulfilling environment.
We are a 100% not-for-profit, community run cafe, arts venue and creative hub in Southampton’s Cultural Quarter. We have a cafe over two floors which is open over lunchtimes and evenings, with a view to opening longer hours in the future. We serve gorgeous, organic, mostly vegan food and have a busy programme of events every week.
The Art House is more than a cafe – it is a community, a place where people can feel part of a greater social movement for positive change.
We are a little place with very big ideas and we are looking for somebody who is as passionate about our mission, and as willing to work hard to achieve it, as we are.
You need to have
- The ability to organise both yourself and others.
- Availability for 16 – 20 hours per week, worked over 4 days per week, Tuesday – Friday between 9am & 2.30pm. There will be very limited flexibility with these hours as we require somebody to be in regularly.
- Willingness and ability to learn new systems, be flexible and adaptable and, in time, contribute your own ideas and systems.
- An organised, reliable and structured approach to work.
- The ability to work very well with many different kinds of people.
- Fast reactions and the ability to remain calm and positive when it gets busy and random (it will!).
You will need to be
- 18 years or over
- Hugely excited by our mission and values, these should be in alignment with your own purpose in life!
- Able to work on your own.
- Very reliable with a proven work ethic.
- Able to delegate effectively.
- A great communicator, both verbally, on the phone and usual email and social media.
- Able to work within systems and take guidance and suggestions on board in a mature way.
- Willing to engage with the bigger picture of how we run – we have no strictly set roles here, everyone commits and contributes.
- Available for a permanent, long term position.
You will need to like
- Using email and social media
- Talking on the telephone
- Solving problems, designing systems and coming up with new ideas.
We are looking for somebody who
- Understands their limitations and is willing to learn, develop and grow.
- Has a passion for either the arts, the environment or community – preferably all of these.
- Will go beyond what is usually expected of an admin role. Working for The Art House is a calling!
- Is open to working in new ways, including learning how to co-ordinate in a non-hierarchical way.
It would also be great if you had
- Experience of working in the nonprofit or voluntary sector.
Practical details (12 – 16 hours per week, Tues – Fri)
£3995 – £5325 per anum (£6.40 per hour) plus meals on shift and staff discount card
The role involves most of your time spent in the office, working with another volunteer or one of the directors, usually unsupervised. You will be opening the building quite often.
Some training, food ordering, menu planning and basic admin duties will be included in the role.
Shifts are worked between 9am and 2.30pm, 3 days per week, Tuesday – Friday.
We are near public transport links and cycle routes.
Pay is monthly, in arrears, paid on the third Friday of each month.
Holiday entitlement is 6 weeks per year, 2 weeks at a time maximum.
How to apply
Please send a CV and a document responding to our selection criteria above, feel free to include any details of hobbies, favourite dishes, culinary inspirations, images, or creative touches – we want to get a feel for who you are and what drives you!
Deadline for applications is strictly Tuesday 17 December 2013 and interviews will take place in the first week of January.
Post your application to:
The Art House
178 Above Bar Street
Southampton SO14 7DW
Please indicate your availability for interviews, the names and contact details of two referees and your understanding that we will be carrying out reference checks after interviews, before a final offer of employment is made.