We are recruiting a paid cafe volunteer co-ordinator
Closing date for applications: Thursday 14 Sept 2017
Interview date: Friday 22 Sept 2017 (afternoon & evening)
Start date: 26 Sept 2017 or as soon as possible after that date
You can download a printable version of this job description here
We are looking for an unflappable, organised-but-flexible, enthusiastic and committed cafe co-ordinator at The Art House.
With a proven ability to stay calm and focussed when lots of things are coming at you, deliver exemplary customer service, delegate tasks, train volunteers on the job, communicate excellently and think on your feet, you will be somebody who is genuinely passionate about The Art House’s mission.
You’ll be supporting volunteers in the cafe, ensuring that customers are given the best possible service, making sure our high standards of hygiene and safety are adhered to, and holding the cafe space so that it is welcoming and delightful. You will also be opening and closing up the cafe.
Experience of paid employment in the voluntary sector, hospitality industry (or both) and experience of leading a small team in any setting is preferable but not essential.
*Some experience of volunteering, community work or social/environmental activism is essential.*
This role is ideal for a freelance artist looking for some paid hours or somebody who is looking for part time work in a creative environment.
Due to licencing laws and the responsible nature of the job, we are only accepting applications from people over 21 years of age.
How to apply
We will only consider online applications received by the deadline date, which is midnight on Thursday 14 September 2017
We regret that we will not be able to give feedback on unsuccessful applications.
We are a 100% not-for-profit, community run cafe, arts venue and creative hub in Southampton’s Cultural Quarter. We have a cafe over two floors which is open over lunchtimes and evenings, with a view to opening longer hours in the future. We serve gorgeous, organic, mostly vegan food and have a busy programme of events every week.
The Art House is more than a cafe – it is a community, a place where people can feel part of a greater social movement for positive change through creativity.
We are a little place with very big ideas and we are looking for somebody who is as passionate about our mission, and as willing to work hard to achieve it, as we are.
Hours of work
Regular hours will be mostly weekend and evening work on a 4 weekly rotating basis
- Shifts will be Tuesday – Sunday evenings and daytimes
- Some holiday cover during our regular opening hours, plus additional hours for special opening and offsite events will be available
- This will be a 12 hours per week on average minimum contract, with additional hours being offered regularly for holiday and busy time cover.
The positions will initially be for six months and will be reviewed after 3 months.
You need to have (essential)
- The ability to remain organised and cheerful in a very busy environment with multiple ‘things’ coming at you! Ideally, you’ll thrive in this kind of setting.
- A deep understanding of how to create a welcoming, fun and safe space for customers and volunteers alike.
- Willingness and ability to learn new systems, be flexible and adaptable and, in time, contribute your own ideas and systems.
- An openness to working in pioneering and new ways, including exploring non-hierarchical working and collective decision making.
- An organised, reliable and structured approach to work.
- The ability to work very well with many different kinds of people.
- Proven customer service skills, either in a paid or voluntary role.
- Experience of working unsupervised.
- Fast reactions and the ability to remain calm when it gets busy and random (it will!).
- A good level of physical health, as the role involves standing up and moving around a fair bit and can be tiring when it gets busy!
- A history of volunteering, social activism or community work – we want somebody who has already shown a commitment to making the world a better place.
It would be good if you have:
- Some experience of the hospitality or retail industry
- Experience of managing a small team in either a paid or unpaid role
You will need to be
- Supportive of vegan and veggie lifestyles (you do not have to be veggie or vegan).
- Hugely excited by our mission and values, these should be in alignment with your own purpose in life!
- Interested in people, outgoing and friendly.
- VERY good at communicating – we use email and social media a lot to keep in touch with these so you will need to be happy to communicate this way.
- Very reliable with a proven work ethic.
- Able to delegate effectively to volunteers working with you.
- Able to hold a space, keep an eye on many things at a time and deal with problems cheerfully and proactively.
- Able to work within systems and take guidance and suggestions on board in a mature way.
- Willing to engage with the bigger picture of how we run – we have no strictly set roles here, everyone commits and contributes.
- Flexible about the hours you work – we will need candidates to step in and work additional hours so this role will not suit anyone with a rigid approach to working hours.
- Willing to learn and grow in the position.
- Presentable in your manner and appearance.
- Happy to work on weekends.
You will need to like
- Delivering an excellent customer experience every day.
- Using email and social media and other IT.
- Working with the general public and with volunteers.
- Solving problems and coming up with new ideas.
We are looking for somebody who
- Understands their limitations and is willing to learn, develop and grow.
- Has a passion for either the arts, the environment, food or community – preferably all of these.
Will go beyond what is usually expected of a catering role. Working for The Art House is a calling and involves a wholehearted approach!
- Is open to working in new ways and taking on new ideas.
Pay and benefits
- £8.25per hour starting salary, paid monthly
– we aim to raise this to match the National Living Wage within the next 6 months
- Meals provided whilst on shift
- Crew discount card and discounted tickets to events and workshops
- 6 weeks paid holiday per year
Working at The Art House is also ideal for freelance artists and creatives starting out a career, as it gives you access to a wide variety of useful contacts!
Full ongoing training will be given for this role.
The role involves a lot of time spent in the cafe working with our team of volunteers, usually unsupervised. You will be opening and closing the building on some of your shifts including dealing with locking up/unlocking and setting alarms.
Shifts are worked Tuesday – Sunday, daytimes and evenings including weekends.
Exact hours will be worked out to fit in with our needs and your availability, as much as possible.
We are near public transport links and cycle routes.
Pay is monthly, in arrears.
Holiday entitlement is 6 weeks per year, 2 weeks at a time maximum.
To apply, please complete the online application form.