The hours will be 10 – 13 contracted per week, mostly weekend daytimes, with some weekday cover for holidays.
How to apply
Deadline for applications is strictly Sunday 22 January 2017 and interviews will take place on Thursday 26 January during the day.
Apply here (please do read the description below first!)
The start date for this post is as soon as possible after interview, although we will consider a later start date or staggered start for the right candidate. Regular hours are between 8am & 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays, some flexibility to the set contracted hours can be discussed at interview if you are not able to work every weekend, but most shifts will be on Saturdays and Sundays.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed kitchen co-ordinator to join our friendly, lively team.
With a love of vegetarian and vegan food preparation, you will be somebody who can work well with others, is happy to work alone if needed and own your own initiative. A friendly persona and clear communicator, you will be somebody who is genuinely passionate about The Art House’s mission.
This is a permanent position and we are looking for somebody who wants a long-term commitment, to allow time to really become part of our Art House community.
You’ll be supporting volunteers in the kitchen, making sure our food is cooked on time to the highest standards, making sure our high standards of hygiene and safety are adhered to.
You will also be training volunteers both on the job and helping to manage the kitchen volunteer rota. Experience of working in the voluntary sector, hospitality industry (or both) is preferable but not essential.
We are a 100% not-for-profit, community run cafe, arts venue and creative hub in Southampton’s Cultural Quarter. We have a cafe over two floors which is open over lunchtimes and evenings, with a view to opening longer hours in the future. We serve gorgeous, organic, mostly vegan food and have a busy programme of events every week.
The Art House is more than a cafe – it is a community, a place where people can feel part of a greater social movement for positive change.
We are a little place with very big ideas and we are looking for somebody who is as passionate about our mission and willing to work hard to achieve it, as we are.
You need to have
- A big love of food, cooking and eating, especially vegetarian/vegan food!
- Availability for 10 – 13 hours per week, worked between 8am and 4pm on most Saturdays & Sundays, with possible additional hours to cover holidays and sickness.
- Willingness and ability to learn new systems, be flexible and adaptable and, in time, contribute your own ideas and systems.
- An organised, reliable and structured approach to work.
- A sociable, confident personality the ability to work very well with many different kinds of people.
- The ability to work unsupervised.
- Fast reactions and the ability to remain calm when it gets busy and random (it will!)
- Experience of cooking for larger numbers of people.
- The role involves fairly early morning starts, standing up for extended periods of time, carrying equipment and walking up and down two flights of stairs during the course of a shift and working in a semi-open kitchen which can be quite noisy when the cafe is busy. We will discuss at interview stage any reasonable adjustments needed to enable the successful candidate to manage the physical and mental demands of the role.
You will need to be
- 18 years or over
- Supportive of vegan and veggie lifestyles, with a strong understanding of these diets – even if you are not vegan or veggie yourself.
- Hugely excited by our mission and values, these should be in alignment with your own purpose in life!
- Interested in people, outgoing and friendly.
- Very reliable with a proven work ethic.
- Serious about working in a safe way, respecting the trust our customers put in our crew to prepare food safely.
- Able to delegate effectively.
- A great communicator, both verbally, on the phone and email and social media.
- Able to hold a space, keep an eye on many things at a time and deal with problems and the day-to-day challenges of the role cheerfully and calmly.
- Able to work within systems and take guidance and suggestions on board in a mature way.
- Willing to engage with the bigger picture of how we run – we have no strictly-set roles here, everyone commits and contributes.
- We’re happy for you to express your style, but be presentable in manner and appearance.
- Available for a long term position which includes weekend work.
You will need to like
- Using email and social media – this is how we communicate at The Art House!
- Solving problems and coming up with new ideas.
- Working in a small business environment with volunteers and lots of changes.
We are looking for somebody who
- Understands their limitations and is willing to learn, develop and grow.
- Has an understanding of different lifestyles, diets and allergies.
- Has a passion for either the arts, the environment or community – preferably all of these.
- Loves preparing good food. Will go beyond what is usually expected of a catering role. Working for The Art House is a calling!
- Is open to working in new ways, including learning how to co-ordinate in a non-hierarchical way and able to work with volunteers from all walks of life.
It would also be great if you had
- Experience of working in the nonprofit or voluntary sector.
- Some experience of the hospitality industry, this can be either paid or unpaid experience.
We are an equal opportunities employer and would like to improve the diversity of our paid crew, so we welcome interest from Black and Ethnic Minority applicants for this post.
Practical details –
Hours: 10 – 13 hours on average per week, mostly worked on Saturday and Sunday 8am – 4pm (some flexibility will be expected to cover holidays and sickness and arrangements can be made for a regular non-working weekend each month).
£8.25 per hour plus meals on shift, staff discount and ‘perks’ scheme. We are a Living Wage employer.
The role involves most of your time spent in the kitchen, working with our team of volunteers, usually unsupervised. You will be opening the building quite often and working on your own at times.
Training new volunteers, food ordering, menu planning and basic admin and record keeping duties will be included in the role.
We are near public transport links and cycle routes.
Pay is monthly, in arrears.
Holiday entitlement is 6 weeks per year, 2 weeks at a time maximum.
How to apply:
We are only accepting online applications up to midnight on Sunday 22 January 2017.
You will also need to upload a copy of your current CV
Questions? Please get in touch (please don’t use the comments section to ask questions, or come into the cafe, or telephone – thanks!)